nullmailer: Do I need a smarthost?

Subject: Re: [nullmailer] Do I need a smarthost?
From: Charles Cazabon ####@####.####
Date: 22 Jun 2001 20:25:28 -0000

Philip Mak ####@####.#### wrote:

> I have a non-root account on the system. I am trying to setup a high
> performance (sendmail, which is installed on the system, runs too slow to
> deliver messages for my mailing list) MTA on the server that will send
> messages out for Listar.

I was the one who suggested nullmailer on the qmail list.  However, now that
you've more clearly explained your problem...

> I don't have any smarthosts to use, though. Is there some way to make
> nullmailer just contact the SMTP server of each recipient and deliver the
> mail there (like sendmail, qmail or postfix does)?

This makes no sense for nullmailer.  nullmailer was designed only as a "dumb"
MTA, which can only relay to a small set of smarthosts, which then relay the
messages to their final destinations.

> I was trying to install qmail or postfix, but I'm running into trouble
> with those since they assume that I have root priviledges.

I'm afraid the right solution for you is to buy list hosting services from
someone else.  If the MTA on your server can't do it, and you don't have the
ability to get that changed, you're out of luck.

Charles
--
Charles Cazabon                       ####@####.####