ezmlm: Thread: archiving!

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: archiving!
From: ####@####.####
Date: 23 Dec 1996 21:47:20 -0000

Yes!  ezmlm does archiving!  I've been thinking of a way to make a
super-reliable mailing list.  You combine qmail's single rcpts and
envelope-sender-recipient, and ezmlm's archives.  The envelope-sender
contains not only the sender, and recipient, but also the message
number.  If you get a bounce, then you know that the person didn't get
that piece of mail.  Mark that in a database, and periodically send
them a reminder that they didn't get those particular messages.

Obviously, if no mail ever gets through again, you have to take
extreme steps, like automatically sending the person a FAX, or giving
them an automated phone call.  Or failing the ability (or desire) to
do that, just delete them from the mailing list.

-russ ####@####.####    http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr Software sells network driver support    | PGP ok
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | The more corrupt the state,
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | the more numerous the laws.

Subject: Re: archiving!
From: "D. J. Bernstein" ####@####.####
Date: 23 Dec 1996 23:21:55 -0000

> Mark that in a database, and periodically send
> them a reminder that they didn't get those particular messages.

Tricky situation #1: What if the recipient _did_ get the messages? Maybe
he's forgotten that he's forwarding copies of his mail to a summer
account that's now expired. You have to show him the bounce messages.

> Or failing the ability (or desire) to
> do that, just delete them from the mailing list.

Tricky situation #2: What if the bounce message is forged? Anyone can
send a message that looks like a bounce message.

---Dan
Put an end to unauthorized mail relaying. http://pobox.com/~djb/qmail.html

From: ####@####.####
Date: 24 Dec 1996 00:03:56 -0000

On 24 Dec, D. J. Bernstein wrote:

> > Or failing the ability (or desire) to
> > do that, just delete them from the mailing list.
>
>  Tricky situation #2: What if the bounce message is forged? Anyone can
>  send a message that looks like a bounce message.

I don't think this really is anything for you to worry about.
Forgery is soooo easy that the _only_ solution is encryption. I don't
think it's a mailing-list's job to figure out forged messages or to
authenticate users to a legally binding level ;-)

After all, as a sysadm, I've often had to remove people from
mailing-lists myself (e.g after they leave the job/etc). I couldn't do
that if the mailing-list software was too smart ;-)

--
Jason Haar, Unix/Internet Support, Trimble Navigation New Zealand
Phone: +64 3 3391517	Fax: +64 3 3391417

From: ####@####.####
Date: 24 Dec 1996 06:05:50 -0000

D. J. Bernstein writes:
 > > Mark that in a database, and periodically send
 > > them a reminder that they didn't get those particular messages.
 >
 > Tricky situation #1: What if the recipient _did_ get the messages? Maybe
 > he's forgotten that he's forwarding copies of his mail to a summer
 > account that's now expired. You have to show him the bounce messages.

With qlist now, his first indication is on the subject line of the
unsubscribe message from qlist.  With ezmlm, it would work the same
way.

 > > Or failing the ability (or desire) to
 > > do that, just delete them from the mailing list.
 >
 > Tricky situation #2: What if the bounce message is forged? Anyone can
 > send a message that looks like a bounce message.

They would have to *intercept* and forge the unsubscription reply
also.  I don't just unsubscribe them -- I forge a message to the
-request address that says unsubscribe due to excessive bounces.