ezmlm: Not getting responses to questions - another question: trailer doesn't work on old list - issue?

Subject: Re: Not getting responses to questions - another question: trailer doesn't work on old list - issue?
From: Philip Rhoades ####@####.####
Date: 11 Jun 2018 12:34:45 -0000

Jeff,

Thanks for responding - see inline comments:

On 2018-05-12 00:22, Jeff Ross wrote:
> On 5/10/18 10:57 PM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
>
>> People,
>>
>> I didn't get a response to my last question - if I don't get a
>> response to this question I guess I will have to assume I am on my
>> own with figuring out ezmlm problems from now on . .
>>
>> I have a new list that I set up this year - creating
>> $HOME/list/text/trailer causes a trailer to be appended to messages
>> with no problems.
>>
>> I have another list that I originally set up in 1999, where this
>> same action does NOT result in the trailer being appended.  I see
>> that there are a LOT of other files in the text dir that don't exist
>> in the new list's text dir - could they be causing a problem?  They
>> are:
>>
>> -rw-r--r--   1 root root  338 May 11 14:02 trailer
>> -rw-------.  1 caa  caa   609 Apr 20  2009 dig-bounce-num
>> -rw-------.  1 caa  caa   452 Apr 20  2009 bounce-probe
>> -rw-------.  1 caa  caa   642 Apr 20  2009 unsub-confirm
>> -rw-------.  1 caa  caa    83 Apr 20  2009 top
>> -rw-------.  1 caa  caa   696 Apr 20  2009 sub-bad
>> -rw-------.  1 caa  caa  2670 Apr 20  2009 mod-help
>> -rw-------.  1 caa  caa   263 Apr 20  2009 sub-ok
>> -rw-------.  1 caa  caa   448 Apr 20  2009 bounce-num
>> -rw-------.  1 caa  caa    88 Apr 20  2009 faq
>> -rw-------.  1 caa  caa   216 Apr 20  2009 digest
>> -rw-------.  1 caa  caa  1168 Apr 20  2009 unsub-nop
>> -rw-------.  1 caa  caa   409 Apr 20  2009 mod-sub
>> -rw-------.  1 caa  caa   692 Apr 20  2009 unsub-bad
>> -rw-------.  1 caa  caa   971 Apr 20  2009 mod-request
>> -rw-------.  1 caa  caa  1796 Apr 20  2009 bottom
>> -rw-------.  1 caa  caa    59 May  1  1999 bounce-bottom
>> -rw-------.  1 caa  caa   292 May  1  1999 bounce-warn
>> -rw-------.  1 caa  caa    44 May  1  1999 get-bad
>> -rw-------.  1 caa  caa   100 May  1  1999 help
>> -rw-------.  1 caa  caa    48 May  1  1999 info
>> -rw-------.  1 caa  caa   132 May  1  1999 mod-reject
>> -rw-------.  1 caa  caa   492 May  1  1999 mod-sub-confirm
>> -rw-------.  1 caa  caa   266 May  1  1999 mod-timeout
>> -rw-------.  1 caa  caa   368 May  1  1999 mod-unsub-confirm
>> -rw-------.  1 caa  caa   464 May  1  1999 sub-confirm
>> -rw-------.  1 caa  caa   128 May  1  1999 sub-nop
>> -rw-------.  1 caa  caa   118 May  1  1999 unsub-ok
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Phil.
>  Hi Phil,
>
> I have similar files in an old ezmlm list from 2006--my guess is that
> the list was created with the original ezmlm, and not the more
> up-to-date ezmlm-idx.

Quite likely actually.

> See this for the explanation of what those files are:
>
> https://untroubled.org/ezmlm/man/man5/ezmlm.5.html

Thanks.

> Those other files will not have an effect on whether or not the
> trailer is attached--what *does* effect that is whether or not the
> email to the list is in multipart html.
>
> Html mails will not always get the trailer attached.  Explanations can
> be found on the web like this one:
>
> https://service.futurequest.net/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/410

All the mails in this case are announcement mails from me and they are
text-only.

> On the whole I've gotten good help from the list--sometimes it just
> takes a while.    I don't know the answer to your question about
> making some people on a list "announcement only".  I wonder if if
> sublist might be able to do that--I've never used sublists though so I
> have no personal experience there.

So far I have created a separate announcement list but there are some
things like sublists to check out that might be interesting.

Regards,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades