bgware: Announce: mailfront-plugin-policyd version 0.02

Subject: Re: [bgware] Announce: mailfront-plugin-policyd version 0.02
From: Guy Hulbert ####@####.####
Date: 8 Apr 2008 15:58:09 -0000

Bernard.

I want to address your last point at the top so my off-topic replies can
be ignored by everyone else.

> Documentation is really thin

Well, perhaps I can help with that then.

I had looked over the plugin list:
http://untroubled.org/mailfront/mailfront.html
and the first few plugins seem completely generic.  I've just read
through most of them (now) and things are a little more clear.

There are things which qpsmtpd does, for which mailfront would need to
use some kind of tcp wrapper.  It seems to me recently, that spam ought
to be filtered mainly by IP address but one still needs to discover
which addresses are bad and that does not cover viruses etc.

--

On Tue, 2008-08-04 at 17:16 +0200, Bernhard Graf wrote:
> Guy, can you configure your mail reader to only reply to the list?

I don't know.  I'm using evolution + debian ... I don't think pine will
work with my provider unless I build it myself.

> It is a bit annoying that I always receive your list replies twice.

Sorry.  You're the first person to complain to me about this.  Some
lists seem to set the list address as the reply-to ... I had to manually
type the list address above ... I just upgraded to etch and evolution
used to let me cut-and-paste via the X-buffer but no longer.

I often get duplicates on other lists and I just delete the extra copy.
Some lists have a feature where there is a user-settable option to not
copy people on their own messages, which prevents their email address
ever getting into the headers by accident.  I sometimes select that
option.

> Guy Hulbert wrote:
>
> > Is there any particular reason, one could not add such a policyd
> > patch to bare netqmail ?
>
> None that I am aware of. Chances a high that something like this already
> exists. Did you already asked on the qmail list?

Not subscribed.  I tried but qsecretary bounced me and I couldn't be
bothered to fight with it.  I look at the archives about once a month.

> > I'm looking at mailfront as a replacement for qpsmtpd (Russ Nelson
> > suggested that I might find mailfront more suitable to my taste) but
> > I'm not clear yet on how big an advantage it would be over a patched
> > qmail.
>
> pro mailfront:
> - It is better supported and the author is more responsive.
>   ( Surprise! ;-) )
> - With the modular design starting in version 1.0 you can adjust your

Actually, the problem with qpsmtpd is that there does not seem to be any
design.  Just today a global hash was replaced by a function ... the svn
diffs showed only 3 lines of code changing.  Bruce has a pithy quote
about perl on his web pages about that.

--
--gh